Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I'm not in charge

I never stopped fretting over the karmic debt that I feel I am building up by asking for rides here and there, help with my kids, etc. And then the other day, I had this great epiphany--since when am I in charge of the balance sheet for the universe? Who the hell am I to say if I'm getting too much or too little? I should just shut up my head and do what's in front of me and ask for help if I need it and help others if they need it! This may seem very obvious to those of you who are more spiritually advanced than I, but I'm kind of on a caveman level of spirtuality right now--the place where I'm just leaving the cave and putting my hand over my eyes because the light's too bright.

I've cut my walking time to the bus by 2 minutes. It only takes me 22 minutes now. I may be ruining my feet, though. At first I was walking in Old Navy flip-flops and carrying my heels in my purse. My Dad suggested wearing tennis shoes, at which I scoffed--what, should I start wearing scarves tied in bows around my neck, too? But he might be right. I've graduated to a pair of Sanuk flip-flops that I got at REI. They're made of the same material as a yoga mat--very cushy. But my ankles are starting to give me trouble. Is it so much to ask for a stylish pair of walking shoes? More research is required.

Unexpected benefit of not driving--I never drive through Jack in the Box.

And guess what? I'm six weeks into this gig. Only 10 and a half more months to go.

1 comment:

  1. I highly recommend some Keen Whisper sandals. Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Like running shoes, without the bulk.

    ReplyDelete