Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pigs in Your Heart

"If you have pigs in your heart, I will follow up with you."

This is the message I just received from an itinerant preacher while I waited at the bus stop. At least I think that's what he said. He said it gently, as a sort of benediction. He looked me in the eye and then walked off, pulling wheeled luggage behind him, earbuds firmly in place.

I feel like I've been casting my pearls before swine today. Management clearly doesn't understand my genius. I am misunderstood. I could've been a contender. Work is really starting to get in the way of my free time.

My program teaches me to pray for serenity, to be of service to others. A dear friend noted recently, "I get that jobs in the service industry aren't great, but why wouldn't you just decide to be the best waitress you could be?"

I tried to do these things today, but it came out all screwy. Another friend used to say, sometimes you just need the day to be over and go to bed. So that's my plan--get into bed when the kids do, watch serial killer tv, and pray for serenity. And in case it helps, ask for pigs in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Could he have said "peace"? Is this a word you might be blocking?

    ReplyDelete