Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Other Things You Don't Want to Happen if You Can't Drive A Car

Someone (and I'm not naming names, but it's one of the two people who are shorter than I in my household) left the back gate open on Saturday. Mariah, the dog who doesn't eat everything, but is unfortunately fond of her own feces, decided to go on a little adventure.

I didn't realize she was gone for awhile, and by then it was dark and while I wandered around the neighborhood for some time calling for her, I couldn't find her. We made up some lost dog posters and I put up a listing on craig's list. Then I checked the County Animal Shelter website, and there she was, smiling up at me, quite pleased with herself. They were closed through Monday, I couldn't get away from work on Tuesday, so she remained incarcerated for three and a half days.

This is what it took to spring her: I took a trolley to a stop near the shelter. My friend Kymberli picked me up there. We drove over to the shelter, where I paid an impound fee, a renewed license fee, another renewed license fee FOR MY OTHER DOG!! (Don't ever tell them you have another dog) and a daily boarding fee. Total cost: $98. Time away from work--3 hours.

They brought her out to me and she showed no remorse, no shame. Indeed, she was quite jaunty about the whole thing. Boomer was thrilled to see her, and when I released her into the backyard, she headed over to the gate, as if hoping it were still open.

I took the bus back to work, worked a couple more hours and took the bus home.

Four weeks and two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment