Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers

Not being able to drive is not that bad, but when it is bad, it really sucks. Like the recent morning I got to the bus stop and realized I'd forgotten my wallet--no money, no bus pass. And here was the bus, ready to go. It was the last express bus of the morning. My heart sank--I was going to have to walk all the way home (24 minutes!), and then walk all the way back (24 more minutes!) and take the regular bus, which takes forever. For a split second, I almost begged the five bucks off of one of my fellow bus-takers, but that seemed like overstepping some sort of boundary. I called my neighbor in desperation and out of the kindness of her heart, she ran by my house, picked up my wallet, and drove me to work.

One afternoon, I was walking home under a cloudy sky and it just opened up on me. I'm not organized enough to carry an umbrella, so I ducked under a tree. While I stood there feeling clever, another busrider who did have an umbrella strolled by, offering not only to walk with me under her umbrella, but then drive me from her house to mine! Can you believe this stuff? The rain stopped abruptly so I thanked her and kept on. About three blocks further, a man walked toward me and offered me an umbrella. "Here I brought this for you. I've seen you walking. Can I give you a ride somewhere?" I smiled, said thanks, but I was fine. He persisted, "I wouldn't want you to get sick--then I'd have to bring you chicken soup."

At this point I realize he's trying to pick me up. He did not look like a serial killer, but also not really my type. I thanked him again and moved on. Who knew you might find love on the walk home?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He brought it for you because he's seen you walking?? Okay, I really don't want to sound like my mother (I think you know that more than most), but are you sure he's not stalking you?

    ReplyDelete