Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Last Day

Tomorrow is the last day I will drive a car for a year. I'm going to reduce my carbon footprint. I'm going to protect mother earth. I'm going to do my part.

Except I'm not doing this voluntarily. I'll be serving penance for driving under the influence of alcohol.

A couple of months ago, on the way home from an extended happy hour, I got pulled over. The wheels of justice turn slowly, and my DMV hearing was just last week. My lawyer didn't really have any evidence to contradict the police report, so it was a pretty clear cut decision. The court hearing on the misdemeanor hasn't been scheduled yet.

For a year, I won't be able to just jump in the car and go . . . well, anywhere. I will be dependent on public transportation, my new bike, and the kindness of my friends and family. I live in the carcentric universe called the suburbs and a mile from the closest bus stop. I have two kids who have to get to school. Their dad and I are separated, so I'm the head of the household. I live 20-plus miles from my office.

I don't know how difficult it will be. I think it could be funny. And, like the rest of America, I think my experience might be worth blogging about.

1 comment:

  1. Knowing you, it will be funny. Perhaps less funny certain days. I wish you were here so I could give you rides on our tandem.

    ReplyDelete