Thursday, April 8, 2010

Nothing Compares 2U

Remember that song by Sinead O'Connor? While I drove around town yesterday, that song kept going through my head. "This is the last day of our acquaintance . . . " I know, drama queen, right?

I took yesterday and the rest of this week off because it's the kids' spring break. This coincides neatly with adjusting to the no-wheels situation. And yes, the kids do know about the license suspension. The conversation went something like this:

(Me): "You guys, mom did something wrong, stupid and dangerous. I drank too many beers one night and then drove the car. A police officer pulled me over and as punishment, I can't drive a car for a year."

(In horrified chorus): "A YEAR!!!!"

(A., my seven year-old): "But how will we get to Albertson's?"

(W., my nine-year old, philosophically): "Well, we can walk, it's not that far."

(A): "What if we have to go to the bathroom?"

(Me): "On the way? Well, we can pee in the bushes."

(A nods, satisfied that the only problem he sees with the entire situation is resolved).

(W): "Wait, will we have to take the bus to Dad's?"

(Me): "Um, no, I'm pretty sure Dad will come pick you up."

So that was it. Their concerns were met and they are a-okay with the situation. I wonder what they'll say about it at school? I opted for not telling them it was something to keep to themselves, so I'm sure the neighborhood will know everything shortly.

On another note, I got my bus pass in the mail yesterday--it's a spiffy plastic credit card type thing that you can reload on line. Apparently you just tap it next to some kind of electric device when you board the bus. I'm already having anxiety that it hasn't been properly loaded, so that when I use it for the first time on Monday, an alarm will sound indicating that the card is empty, and I am trying to pull a fast one. I will stand there stupidly at the front of the bus while the busdriver looks at me askance. Again with the drama queen. I'm going to make sure and bring cash, though.

One of the last car trips I took yesterday was to the grocery store. I had to laugh at myself because I shopped as though I was going to disappear into a bomb shelter for a year. And of all things, what did I forget? Coffee. I usually run by Starbuck's on my way to work.

1 comment:

  1. I'm on a tea-trip these days, for what it's worth. Soo much cheaper than coffee!

    Hey--any chance you posted a comment on Celebitchy.com? I think you're aware of my celebrity gossip addiction, which now extends to reading the comments on vapid celebrity blogs. Anyway, a woman named Andrea commented on the Tiger Woods/Nike ad, and I could just hear your voice as I read it. Wishful thinking, I'm sure, as you're probably not trolling the gossip websites like I do, let alone commenting (I post comments only very occasionally . . .)!

    ReplyDelete